Thursday 7 July 2016

Mr. Commitment Joney Naulak, the guitarist

 Hello readers, today I bring you an exclusive interview of Joney Naulak all the way from Manipur. Well he is a guitarist and a band member of Divine Instinct; this guy is always into music, whenever he gets free time, he start to tune his music. A person who hasn’t being renowned to many, but his commitment to his work has always being done exceptionally. As a hostel mate in Mangalore, Joney has been a part and parcel of my life, whenever he has to perform for a program, he would even give up his sleep in order to perfect the song for the next day. He is a hard working and a dedicated person. Let’s hear his story….  
 Mr. Commitment Joney Naulak, the guitarist

Tell me something about yourself, your background and your band.
Hi, my name is N Langhlunthang Simte@Joney Naulak, I picked up guitar when I was 10. I have joined guitar classes and training sessions back in Manipur and Shillong.  Well currently I’m in a gospel rock band named Divine Instinct. We formed this band on 2014 with the idea to excel and use our talents for the glory of God. We do not believe that rock song is ungodly, infact we do believe that God won’t reject if we lift up our hearts and give our talents for His glory in any possible way we can.

 Mr. Commitment Joney Naulak, the guitarist

How it all started in Music?
Since I was small boy, music is my passion.  I have always dream and wanted to learn guitar someday. But doesn’t have any idea how to start and from where to start. The problem was that I personally didn’t own a guitar that time. But finally I got the opportunity to keep the church’s guitar one day and start learning it from friends. Then after few years I joined guitar class and went on. That’s how I learn how to play guitar.
 Mr. Commitment Joney Naulak, the guitarist

What music/ guitar means to you?
Music means everything to me. You know of course I understand and accept that I can’t choose music as my profession due to various reasons I’m compel to study. But I can’t live a single day without spending time with my guitar. hehe

How you get motivated/ whats your inspiration
Ok, I used to think that just learning guitar and knowing how to play some songs is enough, but one of my friend who is a guitarist as well showed me some scales, techniques, etc. from there I realized that I need to learn more theoretically and practically. I did listen to guitar solos from my favorite guitarist, they inspired me to play better and to keep learning and practice more….
 Mr. Commitment Joney Naulak, the guitarist

What is your hobby Mr Joney?
Other then music, my hobbies are like playing football which is my favorite, hanging out with friends and watching movies.

Joney, tell us about the best comments you have come across
I’m not really sure about this one, but I think the best comment would be on 2014, when I was in my previous band Confession in Confusion, we got selected to participate in a national Rock beat contest in Garo Hills, Meghalaya, “Simsang festival”, after the performance a band member from other bands who were much more experienced then us complimented that we did great though we were just a beginner at that time. Indeed I really feel good about myself and my band for the performance.

 Mr. Commitment Joney Naulak, the guitarist

Mention any of your bands achievement
Currently we are working on in the studio recording our first gospel music album title “Gel thah in”. it’s a Simte words which literally means “Think about it over again”, focusing on the life of a person who is a drug addict.  We have almost completed all the sound track and few songs just the vocal record is still pending. Our band is still young.
 Mr. Commitment Joney Naulak, the guitarist

Who is your favorite guitarist
I have quite a number of favorite guitarists but if I am to mention only one, I would say Marty Friedman.

What is the current status of your band?
As for now due to various responsibilities we have, all the members of the band, we all scattered, but planning to complete the pending project by this year if possible.

 Mr. Commitment Joney Naulak, the guitarist

What do you say about the current music status in North East?
In our North East region, I think the status of music has changed a lot comparing to decade back. I think there is more recognition given to music profession and the market for it has improved a lot. I see there is hope and life too in this line for people who are interested to pursue music as a career.

Joney are you working on your masterpiece right now?
Right now I’m concentrating first with the album which we are working on, definitely in the days to come I’m thinking about writing a masterpiece soon.
Joney Naulak

Any plans of taking a music career?
I personally feel and know that I need to learn a lot more about music, so for that I will still go for some more music courses. But for full time career, I don’t really have a concrete plans as yet.

As an individual team, conflicts and rivalries are natural. What force brings you all back to team?
Yea of course conflicts, arguments and struggles are there on the way, but I think the love and passion we have for our band, and bonding we have as a friend would be the ultimate force that binds us together.

No comments: